Saturday, August 30, 2014

Anything That Moves

Anything That Moves: Renegade Chefs, Fearless Eaters, and the Making of a New American Food CultureAnything That Moves: Renegade Chefs, Fearless Eaters, and the Making of a New American Food Culture by Dana Goodyear

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I like food.

I'm curious about non-traditional food - the things that usually make me cringe when cooking. I'm not exactly curious enough to fry them up and take a bite.

This book did that (and then some).

I admire those who don't have a gag reflex that kicks in before opening wide for a sample of innards or organs or things that slink and slither in their natural environment. I wish I could be more adventurous when dining out. When I go into a restaurant, I treat it like any other trip: I survey the surroundings to determine how dangerous it may be. I think of adventurous dining like skydiving in that there's a chance something could go terribly wrong. Eat blowfish and maybe die? Um, no. Really, thank you, but it's a firm no. With a smile.

I am so finicky, I will take a good look at the menu before I get there. I will send others to sample before me. And I might take a bite if I get in the door. I don't want a plate of something that looks like it came from a crime scene. I might not even want to smell it (seriously, I will dry heave at the table).

I'm glad I read this book because it made me think maybe I can face my foodie fears. I just need time. Booze will probably help, too.



View all my reviews

No comments: