Friday, January 25, 2013

The Presidents Club

The Presidents Club: Inside the World's Most Exclusive FraternityThe Presidents Club: Inside the World's Most Exclusive Fraternity by Nancy Gibbs

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


"Whether we're Democrat or Republican, we all care deeply about this country… All of us who have served in this office understand that the office transcends the individual." --George W. Bush

No matter how bitter they fought during a campaign, the few men who have been President of the United States all understand that. They may not always like each other, but they know it is one of the most difficult jobs in the world. They judge, but not publicly.

"Only the president himself can know what his real pressures and his real alternatives are. If you don't know that, how can you judge performance?" - JFK

And sometimes, they really care for each other.

"I don't want to tax you, but I always want you to know I need your counsel, and I love you." - LBJ to Truman

They even try to explain things to us outsiders.

"I think people see George (H. W. Bush) and me and they say, 'That is the way our country ought to work." -- Bill Clinton.

If these men can put their politics aside and work together to make the planet better, why the hell can't the rest of us? This book doesn't exactly answer that. However, it did satisfy my history/politics loving soul.



View all my reviews

No comments: