Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Currently Reading

The Outpost: An Untold Story of American ValorThe Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor by Jake Tapper

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


"Our relationships that we established years ago were paramount in the success of the liberation of that particular village," Captain Alex Newsom insisted. "Without any American presence for two and a half years, these people we supported, they kept the fight up. All they needed was equipment. These are good people. There is hope."

I would like to believe the brave men and women who served in this remote part of Afghanistan feel the same way. I wish I could have the same positive attitude about the work they did - and continue to do - there. After reading this incredible true story of life and death there, I have to wonder if there was ever a plan beyond seeking revenge against al Qaeda for the 9/11 attacks on America? There is no question that many volunteered to serve out of patriotism or anger for that day. They deserve more for their service.

I don't know what the military solution is for such horrible acts committed against us. I do know that when you send someone's son/daughter/brother/sister/husband/wife into harms way, there should be many plans: How do we keep them safe? How do we get the resources they need? How do we approach an enemy capable of waiting out intruders? How do we bring back those men and women? What do we do with them when they return?

It seems like these are questions our government didn't ask when we decided to go to war. I only hope that this country has learned to prepare for the worst case scenario while hoping for the best. We owe that to our troops.



View all my reviews

No comments: