Thursday, October 27, 2011

Bank of America Tries To Get It Right

Nearly two weeks ago, I wrote about Bank of America's latest failure. It was not in the news, but if you're too lazy to click the link, here's the summary:
I received a FedEx letter with my address but another couple's name stating my home was facing foreclosure.
After a frantic phone call, I learned it was, in fact, a mistake. That mistake was really unsettling. I knew that it's possible for banks to foreclose on the wrong property. But what was especially frustrating was the flippant attitude from the call taker. Her slight laugh while saying, "We transposed a number."

I made demands. I wanted a letter stating my home was not in jeopardy. I wanted Bank of America to make damn sure that if they foreclosed on a property on my street that they would choose the right one. What I really wanted - and didn't want to ask for - was a sincere-sounding apology.

After playing phone tag with someone from the bank's "Privacy Event Management" office (can you believe they have to have one of those?), I got the last part with the promise of a letter to keep for my own records. There was something about the gravelly sounding man's voice that made me feel like maybe, just maybe, Bank of America may be able to right my situation which is now officially an investigation.

Part of me wants heads to roll, but I know that won't happen. The best I can hope for is the bank will double, triple, maybe quadruple check addresses when dealing with foreclosing on some one's home. It's serious, tragic business. It shouldn't be laughed off when an error is made. I'm pretty sure those CEOs making millions would be even angrier than I was if someone missed a number on their bonuses. They should make sure the people making significantly less than them ALWAYS get the numbers right.

No comments: