Thursday, September 1, 2011

September Movies

You know what I like about this time of year? Besides the fact that there are fewer 100 degree days, the movie options tend to get better. More of them want to be award contenders - and I like it! So, let's begin with what excites me.

The Debt

At first glance, I wasn't interested in this just by its title. Then, I watched the trailer a few times. That Helen Mirren - she's almost like a guy in that her age doesn't seem to matter. She can play just about any age and kick ass at the same time. LOVE her!

Apollo 18

My inner conspiracy theorist is intrigued by this. I will probably just add it to my Netflix queue (look, it's below 400 movies, so I can do that if I want to). Let me be clear: I do believe man landed on the moon, I'm just disappointed I can't vacation there.

Contagion

Oh, my. I will definitely see this in the daytime, while likely reapplying anti-bacterial gel to as much of myself as possible in the theater. Then, I will come home, shower and possibly refuse to leave my house ever again. PS - I'm seriously hoping this movie makes me excited about Matt Damon again. Hereafter and The Adjustment Bureau were a little disappointing.

Drive

Ryan Gosling? I'm in.

Straw Dogs

I'm not fully sure what happens here, but I'm curious enough to find out.

Moneyball

I probably won't love this, but I usually like a sports movie. And Jonah Hill.

50/50

If I'm feeling a bit sad and want a good cry with a side of giggle, this will be my pick.

Dream House

Ah. The movie where Rachel Weisz and Daniel Craig fell in love. I'll see this at some point.

Here are the movies I won't see:
  • Shark Night 3D - Um, hell no. I had to watch Shark Week programs during the day - and those are REAL shark stories. The idea of a fake shark movie in 3D makes me queasy.
  • A Good Old Fashioned Orgy - This sounds like something I'd watch on cable. Late at night. When I can't find Point Break or The Town.
  • Warrior - I don't even know what to think of this other than I'm not interested. 
  • Bucky Larson: Born To Be A Star - Ten seconds of the trailer made me think this was a direct to DVD movie. If it sits in theaters more than a month, I'd be impressed.
  • I Don't Know How She Does It - If I have to see Sarah Jessica Parker as another lady who can't go through life without a meltdown, I might have a meltdown.
  • Abduction - I am not a teenage girl, so I do not have to see every Taylor Lautner movie.
  • Machine Gun Preacher - Is this movie for real?
  • Killer Elite - I'm not convinced this isn't a video game.
  • Dolphin Tale - Finally! Morgan Freeman isn't just giving words of wisdom to white people! He talks to dolphins!
  • What's Your Number? - This seems like a sitcom that I wouldn't watch because I know it would be canceled in a couple of weeks.

No comments: