Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Five Songs of Summer

I don't love the summer heat, but I love some things about summer: an icy cold drink on a sweltering day, a popsicle, sitting by the water, flip flops and, of course, music. I thought I'd give you a little something to be cool on this first day of summer. If you're looking for something to get you in the mood (especially if you're one of the lucky ones who has not been cursed with a few 100 degree days already), maybe these songs will help. Here, in no particular order, are my favorite songs with the word "summer" in the title.

Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams

I wasn't even born in 1969, but there's something about this song that just screams summer fun!

Summer Nights - John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John

Oh, how I love this song! I know it says "summer," but I will sing along to this any time of year!

Cruel Summer - Bananarama

Hearing this as a kid, I remember thinking, "Overalls are cool!" However, growing up along the Texas coast, overalls are anything but cool in the summer. Wait. I get it. Wear overalls in the summer and it's cruel. This song now has a whole new meaning!

Suddenly Last Summer - The Motels

It's becoming obvious how old I am, no? I like that this song isn't peppy - it's a little sad.

Summertime - DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince

This is my favorite summer song! First of all, I like that Jazzy Jeff got top billing in this - even though it was ALL Princed and Fresh. Second, I like that the only video I could find was a performance on "Soul Train." Look at how close he's holding the microphone. Is Will lip synching? The sideways cap, the dance moves - I could watch this over and over. And I might. It's summer summer summertime!

No comments: