Sunday, April 3, 2011

I ♥ Sundays Again!

Confession: I have hated Sunday nights for the last four months or so. The reason: I have nothing good to watch on television. I've been reading, watching stuff off the DVR or a DVD - but I feel like I've been robbed.

First, I've been tortured by Mad Men.

The whole is it or isn't it back game was not fun. I desperately want to know what Don will do! And what happens to Joan? Will Peggy stay at the agency? Will Betty remain committed in yet another miserable marriage?

Last week, I finally got some good news: the show would be back in 2012 for two seasons. I absolutely love when shows have an end date. It's like they have purpose. No show should go on forever - even if it's a huge money maker for the network. With that puzzle solved, it's like the TV Gods (there has to be more than one because of all the channels) have smiled on me and given me something to watch. I celebrate the end of those Sundays I lost to Celebrity Apprentice or some other lame reality show. If you're looking for something to watch on Sundays, here's what I'm doing:

Mildred Pierce
Friends, a series like this makes HBO worth every penny!

The first two of five parts of aired last Sunday. I was really excited about this when I saw the promos - Kate Winslet and Guy Pearce together? YES! I love them. I was slightly familiar with the story, but have not seen the original movie (it's in my Netflix queue) or read the book.

I was moved by the first two episodes and looking forward to seeing this one through.

The Kennedys
I have yet to see a single rave review for this 8-part series, but I'm still going to watch it.

I am no fan of Katie Holmes (I don't believe she's shown range - she's like the girl who keeps playing the same character). I do like Greg Kinnear and Barry Pepper. I'm curious to see how they pull this off.

Saying it stretches the truth is probably being too nice. I just want to know why all the networks passed on this. I won't commit to sticking this one out, but I'll watch whatever runs this week.

The Killing
Mad Men drama aside, AMC can do no wrong. Wait. I take that back. They axed Rubicon - a show that was absolutely mesmerizing. So, why am I willing to commit to this one?  Because I believe the 13 episodes will probably stand alone. If I invest 12 weeks in this series, I don't think I'll be left hanging.

It's a murder mystery show, so I feel certain they'll solve the case by the end. I have high hopes for this one (including the possibility it will give me strange dreams).

Those shows will get me by until my other Sunday favorites return.

  • Treme - April 24
  • True Blood  - June 26
  • Curb Your Enthusiasm - July 10
  • Entourage - July 24
  • Breaking Bad - July
  • Walking Dead - Fall
  • Boardwalk Empire - Fall
  • Bored To Death - Fall
  • How To Make It In America - Fall

No comments: