Saturday, March 12, 2011

I Hate My Box

Before you sickos start thinking I'm talking dirty, let me be clear: I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT BOX. I'm talking about the box on surveys that forces me to commit to an age bracket.
Much like when I was 34, and put in the same category of a 22-year-old, I don't like being in the same bracket as a 44-year-old. I've had a year to adjust to this new box (yes, today is my birthday and if you can't do the math, I'm 36 - REALLY). I still don't like it.

I can't believe I can actually have so much in common with someone in her 40s. I have only recently committed to trying age-fighting products. A woman in her 40s has no doubt tried a lot more of them than I have. She's also more likely to accept that those products don't make changes overnight - I am not. I want instant change. Note: I'm not quite fighting wrinkles. I'm fighting sun damage caused by my foolish years of not wearing sunblock regularly.


Also, does a woman who is 44-years-old admit to watching things like Teen Mom? Because I do.

Does a woman who is 44-years-old get excited about Wonder Woman-themed makeup products? I do.

Does a 44-year-old woman think Eat Pray Love is a horrible example to women? I do.

I know that I'm not like all ladies my age. But I completely resent the idea that a box represents ME. I just don't want to be confined to that box. So, surveyors, forgive me if I stop checking your stupid box. I'll choose the one that represents me (unless you're checking ID - and try doing that over the Internet). It's not me. It's you.

No comments: