Tuesday, October 19, 2010

When Love Kills

If you were expecting some sort of serious, deep post, stop reading now.

I was flipping through the October issue of Glamour and I came across this rave page.
Now, I love reading about shows, music, movies and books because I'm always looking for something new to entertain me. But I realized this page might be more of a curse.

EXHIBIT A - TV SHOWS
I always giggle at Will Arnett. I kind of like the show (though I admit I have a few episodes on my DVR just begging me to press play). But it's not doing so well. Don't blame me. Blame Glamour for loving it. Also, blame the magazine for the demise of these shows:
Lone Star and My Generation were axed after less than three episodes. Hellcats is still alive - but it's on the CW. What are they going to replace it with?

EXHIBIT B - MOVIES
Now, I understand that when I ready Glamour, I'm flipping through a girlie magazine that assumes its readers all adore chick flicks and chick lit. So it should come as no surprise that the magazine is recommending this movie.
I wouldn't see this movie if you told me Katherine Heigl gets ripped to shreds by Freddy Krueger. I don't like her. I don't think a movie with this predictable ending will change my mind. I don't think I would change my mind if she called and begged me to give her a chance.

I'm a little more sympathetic to these movies, but I don't think they'll be big blockbuster hits (not even at Blockbuster).
That Emma Roberts movie looks cute, but I'm not rushing to the theater to see it. And, surprise!, another rom-com with Josh Duhamel and Katie Holmes? Just because Glamour calls it a "modern-day St. Elmo's Fire" doesn't mean I'll even add this to my Netflix queue (and I have some random stuff in there).

EXHIBIT C - MUSIC
Here's the final pitch on the page:
I really love this album. I don't really see much of a difference between The Killers and a Killer-less Brandon Flowers. I don't think this will be at the top of the iTunes chart (that's what people pay attention to these days, right?), but I don't care. I like it even if Glamour does, too.

I just hope that if I'm ever on a TV show/movie or dare to sing they don't show me the love. I don't think I can handle that kind of a curse.

No comments: