Saturday, August 7, 2010

Oops! They Did It Again!

When I opened my mailbox yesterday, I found these two magazines.
Two of the three cover stories are the same. And they claim to be exclusives!
The covergirls are in love - it says it right there on the cover (in words and in photos). But using words like "exclusive" and "only in" for stories that have been all over the news for weeks is beyond silly. It's dumb. And it's an abuse of those words.

I hate when actual news sources (like my own, for example) call a story an exclusive - unless you know for a fact that NO ONE will have the story. If there's even the slightest chance someone else might have the story, mitts off!

Back to these two stories... People and US had extensive coverage of Chelsea's wedding and Ali's engagement on their websites. How could they not know the other would have that in their magazines - let alone on the cover? I have not read the stories yet, but I am fairly certain there won't be any difference in the content. I just wish these magazines would stop pretending like they have something no one else does. Before you get all judgmental and say, "You know, you don't have to buy those magazines," let me be clear: I subscribe to them because they are reading material that doesn't hurt my head - except when they play games like this.

No comments: