Tuesday, July 27, 2010

It's All Your Fault, James Cameron!

When I finally got around to seeing James Cameron's "Avatar," I was glad that it was in 3-D since everyone told me that was the ONLY way to see it.

I was actually more impressed with life in the blue world than the 3-D. I wanted to feel like poisoned darts were flying at me. Instead, the only thing I actually noticed were blades of grass. To be honest, that whole 3-D element was underwhelming. Maybe it was too much hype. Maybe I had set the bar too high, believing Cameron's previous films had reached new heights, this one would blow them out of the water. In the end, this movie was too preachy for me to love it. It was sold as a fantasy, but it was nothing more than an attack on war and the environment. Blah. If I want that, I'll watch a documentary.

This movie did inspire plenty of filmmakers (and studios who saw the piles of money showing up on Cameron's doorstep). I had hoped it would be for the better, films that would have a vision and deliver it. Instead, it appears everyone thinks put the words "3-D" in the title, charge people three times as much for a regular ticket, then sit back and count the cash.

Not so fast.

These offerings are not just an abuse of 3-D, they're an insult to movie watchers.

Those are just a few of the movies due out this year in 3-D. Those are films I'm not sure I'd want to see in the standard format, let alone with some goofy glasses!

A dance movie all up in your face? Who wants that (though some of my favorite dancers from "SYTYCD" are in it) with loud music blasting at you? OK. That makes me sound old. I might be, but I know a crap movie when I see the trailer/poster!

Horror films in 3-D? Look, I can only watch those during the daytime. I don't want to feel like I'm being hacked/chewed into pieces!

"Jackass?" REALLY? Does anyone need to see gross stunts like that?

So, I blame James Cameron. Instead of inspiring filmmakers to take technology to new heights, his film has made studios think of 3-D as the cash cow they're going to keep milking until moviegoers refuse to pay to see those films.

Here's where I take a stand: I won't see a movie in 3-D unless it appears like it would truly enhance the experience. From the looks of things, it doesn't appear I'll be wearing those glasses any time soon.

No comments: