Thursday, September 10, 2009

Why So Angry?

I am at a loss. I don't know why people are so angry these days. Last night, I was shocked to see this behavior on the Senate floor.

The reaction of Pelosi, Biden and Obama initially made me giggle. But the more I watched that, the more I realized people have lost their minds.

First of all, if you're a member of Congress, you have respect for the President, the room and all those other elected officials sitting around you. When you have eight years experience and have served the country, you certainly don't behave like that. I don't care that Rep. Joe Wilson apologized later for his behavior. It's beyond rude. It doesn't just make Wilson or South Carolina look bad. It makes Republicans look bad. With mid-term elections nearly in full swing, behaving like a toddler won't help.

I'm not saying Democrats have acted much better. In fact, this little outburst at President Bush was certainly not one of their finer moments.

I understand people are frustrated. I have had moments with politicians from all parties that have made me wonder if they checked their brains after election day. But I just cannot wrap my brain around the anger in America. Have you seen those town hall meetings? They seem to have gone beyond demanding answers - they're getting physical. Then there's the PASTOR who's wishing for Obama to die. This is a man of God wishing death on another man?!? I have disliked people in my lifetime, but I have NEVER wished them to die.

None of that is productive. None of it will make America a better place. Ever had a job without health care? I have. It was one that paid next to nothing. Luckily, I was younger and didn't have much need for doctors. But I cannot imagine what would have happened to me if my gallbladder had been a problem then. I not only would not have been able to afford the tests and surgery, I would have waited until it burst, then showed up at an ER, unable to pay for the surgery that would heal me. I know how lucky I am. I think there are some people who have no idea what that fear of wondering how they're going to pay for any emergency is like. It's terrifying. No person should have to decide whether they should get treatment or not. No one.

Disagree with policies and legislation all you want. I just ask that you do it respectfully. This anger and hatred is out of control. I don't know what the REAL reason is for these feelings. I just know that it's not productive. You have a vote. Use it. And PLEASE, I beg you, don't hit forward on every email or believe every single thing you hear on TV about what is/is not in the proposed health care reform bills. Look it up. I'll even point you to a couple of reliable sites so you can breathe a little easier.

Politifact
Fact Check

No comments: