Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Is He Right?

I don't know why hearing President Carter say this is shocking to me.

Is it courageous to drop the race card? Is it stupid? Or is he right?

The extreme anger that has been demonstrated over the last year or so has made me wonder if, in some way, racism is the unspoken reason behind the extreme hate. I thought we were so far beyond that, but could it be, that even in this time, it's really why people just can't calm down and have a rational discussion about what's happening in America?

Think about it. Here's what is at the heart of Carter's message:

“I think an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man, that he is African-American."

Sure, it's the elephant in the room. Nobody likes to talk about racism. But maybe we should. I'm putting it out there to make people think. I'm not saying you have to agree with the President on every thing he says (because, believe it or not, friends, I don't). But I have never, ever been so angry with any President in my lifetime that I have wished death upon him. Ever. Working in the media, I have never attended a protest or rally for anything other than news gathering purposes. I have also never decided a candidate would or would not get my support based on my first glance at him or her - or upon reading his or her name.

It's already got Rush Limbaugh talking. I know he's a talk radio host who loves to get in the news. But statements like this are far from productive. He doesn't want a conversation. He wants to be the judge and jury.

Go ahead. Accuse me of being a liberal (I've been called worse, trust me). But I'd just like someone to explain to me how President Carter's theory is far from the truth. Until then, I'm going to accept that this man of peace might be on to something.

No comments: