Sunday, May 31, 2009

I'm Too Old For MTV

As a kid, I remember how excited I was when MTV beamed its first video. I was immediately hooked! I mean, music videos - how cool was that? Now, I was just a kid and my parents probably should have kept me (and my little brother) from staring mindlessly at hour after hour of videos. But they didn't. We learned to appreciate shows like "The Young Ones." It was on pretty late, but it was still appointment TV. Here's a clip:

There were a few more shows we watched, too. But then, a little thing called "The Real World" came to life. It was interesting, seeing people from different walks of life plopped in one apartment and forced to live together - good and bad. I stuck with them for a few seasons, drawing the line after Ruthie's alcoholism in Hawaii. Now, that show is less about breaking down barriers and more about 20-somethings getting drunk and hooking up. Ahh, now THAT'S birth control. Is that really what it's like to be young person these days?

Now, try finding videos on MTV. How can they possibly still roll out the Video Music Awards when they don't show videos?

I admit, I am watching "The Hills." Go ahead and say something mean. I've probably said it to myself while I watch the show. And, seriously, Heidi, what are you thinking? Spencer is the douchiest of douche bags. No good can come of that marriage. You said "till death to us part" and I hate to say it, but you might just be hauled off for a 187. That's street speak for murder, people. At least it was when MTV showed videos.

You might be wondering what got me all fired up. I'm watching the MTV Movie Awards. I actually like Eminem's performance. The Kings of Leon rocked it. Andy Samberg's opening was funny. Bruno flying in as an angel and putting his behind in Eminem's face, sending Slim Shady and his crew scrambling out of there (after dropping a few expletives) was funny, too. But these golden popcorn awards shouldn't have been part of the show. It was all "Twilight!" Clearly people young enough to be my kids had the voting down. When movies like "Slumdog Millionaire" get dissed, I really wonder what's happening. I know it's not the Oscars, but really, kids? A movie about kids who come from the slums and fall in love and manage to be together (with cash) isn't good enough for you? It must be past your bed time.

Or I'm just too old for MTV.

No comments: