Tuesday, December 2, 2008

'Tis The Season

No, I haven't found my holiday spirit.

But what I have found is a case of the holidays at work. Sounds cheery, right?

WRONG. It's BAD.

While you're out shopping, trimming the tree, baking cookies (sneak some into our newsroom, will ya?), we're working. Trying to find news. It's like the never ending scavenger hunt! Now, I like good news. I'm going to let you in on a little news secret: it's the bad news that's good news to us. I'm not just talking about car crashes, shootings, stabbings and other assorted violence. I'm talking about ordinary folk's bad luck: lawn decorations stolen, presents stolen, homes burning down - get my drift?

I'd love a good scandal - or anything else that remotely resembles news. It would make starting the newscast so much easier. But without someone having a little bad luck, and let's face it - that's what news is, we're bored. And frustrated. And eventually, cranky. No amount of cookies can fix that.

So until I survive the next five weeks, I'll be playing this while secretly hoping people aren't playing along at home during my newscast.

Look at that! Holiday optimism! Maybe I'll find my spirit after all!!

No comments: