Sunday, November 30, 2008

Have You Seen My Holiday Spirit???

I have tried and tried to find my holiday spirit these last few days. It has gone AWOL.

Because this is my kitten's first Christmas, I've decided not to get a tree. Plus, the thought of getting the tree in the stand all by myself - well, let's just say there would be a whole lot of expletives flying. I did put up a tree last year, my first in my new house. See?
It smelled lovely! My gold and bronze ornaments glowed with my white twinkly lights. Charley thought the tree water was some special treat. But I just know Chaplin would get into the tree and knock it down. I cannot imagine what will happen once I start shopping and wrapping presents. I have no doubt he will be tearing open presents. Maybe I'll use bags this year.

I do have a small tree made entirely of red ornaments and lights that I'll probably put out. But, that will be it. I think. I noticed my poinsettia from last year died. I'm waiting for my Christmas cactus to bloom (hopefully the somewhat cooler weather will make that happen).

I tried to bring out the holiday spirit by adding holiday music to the rotation on my iPod (Josh, my carpool partner, will probably not be happy with that). I even watched three of my favorite holiday movies this weekend, Elf on Friday, Christmas Vacation on Saturday and Love Actually on Friday. While I enjoyed them for what seems like the millionth time, I'm just not excited about Christmas. And that stinks! It's my favorite holiday! What has happened to me?

If you've seen my holiday spirit, will you kindly send it my way? Maybe it'll take those holiday cards filling my mailbox that will do the trick. Maybe some fudge (hint hint). Maybe I'll just wake up one day and not be annoyed by the phrase "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas." Go ahead and sing it. It's just making me roll my eyes.

I'm hoping my spirit finds me soon. I don't like feeling all Grinch-like.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I saw the picture of the tree and thought it was a Christmas miracle that you had found your Christmas spirit and decorated today. Oh well. I know exactly how you feel. If you WANT to find your Christmas spirit I think you do need some decorations. That has really helped me get in the mood.