Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sad Times

Ever since I watched that Planet Earth series, I've tried to be more aware of what I'm doing to the planet. I haven't taken any drastic steps, just baby ones (I mean, have you seen how much solar panels cost???). Still, they're steps.

I don't care if you believe man contributes to global warming - or if you don't believe in global warming at all - or if you think it's just God hugging is closer (thank you, Tina Fey). But you can't deny something is going on. Case in point: the polar bear.

In the series, it was devastating to watch the polar bear swim to its own death in search of food. The shrinking ice sheets make it hard for the bears to take a break, as the ice either won't support them or the bears can't reach the ice in time.

Then, I see this headline: Polar bears resort to cannibalism as Arctic ice shrinks. It makes me want to cry real tears. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but I just can't imagine a world without those big, beautiful bears in it.

No comments: